Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Bouchercon

This won't be much of a Bouchercon report, but I'll sort of summarize some of the high points.

1) The convention was well organized. The panels started on time and ended on time. They were all in the rooms they were scheduled for. And the ones I attended went off very well.

2) I met a few people whose books I've admired. Ken Bruen and Jason Starr are two names that come to mind. Lee Goldberg introduced me to Lono Waiwaiole. I didn't meet Bernard Cornwell, but I did go to the one-on-one interview he did.

3) Got to see a lot of friends from DAPA-EM and a lot of writers that I've met over the years. That's always fun, too.

4) I met Sara Weinman, whose blog I read regularly. I was hoping to meet her brother, Jaime, whose blog I also read every day, but

5) I didn't take any photos of the convention. All my pictures are of the places Judy and I visited in Toronto: the CN Tower, Casa Loma, etc. If you don't believe I was there because of the lack of photographic evidence, you can click here.

6) We went to see Mama Mia, which was great. I took a lot of abuse from people who don't like ABBA as much as I do, but what do they know? Squat, that's what.

7) The security wasn't as much of a hassle as I'd feared. Maybe because it was the Canadian Thanksgiving, the lines at the airport on Monday weren't bad at all. There was certainly no traffic on the highway that day.

8) I picked up a couple of Modesty Blaise paperbacks at Tom and Enid Schantz's table. There's nothing like pure escapist fantasy for a long plane ride.

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

How did you morph into Bruce Taylor after the first few photos?

Vince said...

Great to have you back at the keyboard, Bill. It sounds like a terrific convention. I'm sorry I missed it. Next year in Chicago, maybe.