Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A Couple of Books

I'm getting a little behind in reporting on my recent reading. First I should mention Defending Baltimore from Enemy Attack by Charles Osgood. You've probably heard his voice before, and now you can read about his life in 1942. There's a good chapter on his love of radio, and another one on the influence of The Mark of Zorro on his life. In fact, the whole book is warmly nostalgic, especially for those of us who are nearly (if not quite) Osgood's age.

Another book I've been meaning to mention is Jack Higgins's Hell is always Today. This is another procedural featuring wealthy cop Nick Miller. This time there's a serial killer in the mix, and an escaped convict, too. Higgins's style and manner of storytelling in this novel is very similar to any of his recent books, and I'm surprised that the Nick Miller series hasn't been reprinted much sooner. Fast-moving and evocative (Higgins does weather really well).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, I told you the Osgood book was great. I laughed out loud a number of times at his goofy antics. A really fun book that I'd recommend to anyone.

mybillcrider said...

Yes, and I should have mentioned that I bought the book at your recommendation. Worth reading by anybody who's ever been a kid, especially for those of us who've never grown up.