Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Orleans, Again

A few random thoughts before I leave for the airport. It seems to me that the catastrophe in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama is going to exceed by far that of 9/11. I keep thinking of a story called "The Open Boat" by Stephen Crane. Remember that one? Sometimes you want to throw rocks at the temple, but there are no rocks, and there is no temple. In other words, we can't bomb Afghanistan this time. We can't blame Iraq, as some whose names I won't mention are fond of doing for other things. We're willing to pump billions of dollars into wars with Iraq and Afghanistan, and then to spend billions more to restore the countries after we've virtually destroyed them. I wonder how much we're willing to pump into our own country, into the states devastated by the hurricane, to help our own citizens.

The usual carefree blogging will return after Bouchercon. I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said, sir.