Thursday, February 01, 2007

Happy Birthday, Phil Everly!

Phil Everly turns 70 today. It would be difficult, if not impossible, for the young whippersnappers out there to understand the excitement a new record by Don and Phil could generate 50 years ago. "Wake Up, Little Susie," "Bird Dog," "Devoted to You," "Cathy's Clown," the beat goes on. And they can still make terrific music when they try.

And let's not forget Stuart Whitman. "Mon-sewer" Regret is 79 today. Anybody but me remember Claude King's recording of "The Comancheros"? I didn't think so. So to refresh your memory, here are the lyrics:

The Comancheros're takin' this land the Comancheros're takin' this land
Paul Regret of New Orleans was a fast man with a gun
Didn't want to go but he had to run when he shot down Moebeam Sam
Yes he shot down Moebeam Sam
With the dark of night he had left town never to return again
With a oneway ticket at the end of the line
He was told by a stranger man the Comancheros're takin' this land
And then the Comancheros came robbin' through the night
Stealin' and a killin' takin' everything in sight
Nothin' left behind but a blood in the sand
The Comancheros're takin' this land the Comancheros're takin' this land
[ trumpet ]
I'll cover every inch of the ground where I stand I'd die before I'd run
I'm not afraid of any living man and here I'll make my stand
With a gun I'll make my stand
He rode into the Comanchero town like a wild man on the run
Before he'd leave they'd all be dead they died by his blazin' gun
They died by his blazin' gun
And then the Comancheros came robbin'.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And do you remember King’s “Wolverton Mountain”? But that’s a foolish question. Heck, you probably have the single. And listened to it just this morning.

Unknown said...

Well, as a matter of fact, I probably do have that one. But I didn't listen to it this morning.

Cap'n Bob said...

Har to believe Phil's that old, but I'll add my happy birthday wishes and hope he's doing well.

Do you remember the answer song to Wolverton Mountain? The Girl From Wolverton Mountain.

Unknown said...

I'm guessing JoAnn Campbell on that one, Cap'n, but I'm not sure.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Bill's right--JoAnn Campbell did do (I'm the Girl From) Wolverton Mountain. And who can forget the ever-popular Three Mile Island" by Pinkard & Bowden ("The bears and the birds/are bigger than mountains...")

But speaking of Stuart Whitman, if you've never seen the 1961 film The Mask, you're missing a truly outstanding performance. The subject matter might make several people uncomfortable (he's a paroled child molester) but he's awfully damn good, with fine support from Rod Steiger as his shrink.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to know the old memory still sort of works. And I saw The Mask in the theater in 1961. Fine little movie.

Anonymous said...

I think it was actually Don Everly that turned 70 on that day.

Unknown said...

Oops. Don and Phil both will hate me now.