Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blades of Glory

I know, I know. I shouldn't have taken time off from revising my essay "A Defense of Zabriskie Point" to watch this. But I did.

To determine whether you'd watch it or not, decide how you'd respond to this sentence: Will Ferrell in spandex.
Okay, that's eliminated about 99% of you, who can now go back to discussing the ending of Blow Up.

For the rest of you, the movie's about what you'd expect from a Will Ferrell spoof of figure skating. What? You say figure skating's doing a fine job of spoofing itself? True, but the movie goes a little beyond that, and I found a lot of it very funny. Dumb? Yes. But funny. When it comes to playing macho pigs, Ferrell is one of the best. And Jon Heder's performance is pretty funny, too. I'd give the movie a 5.8. You might just wish it would go away.


4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Will Ferrell in spandex(shudder).

Anonymous said...

Actually, in terms of goofy humor, it's kind of a toss-up between BLADES OF GLORY and ZABRISKIE POINT (the burning books at the end might weigh against ZP), and both lose to WOMEN IN LOVE.

Anonymous said...

There is no defense for Zabriskie Point.

Period.

Unknown said...

Roy Orbison.