Friday, July 25, 2008

BigDog

Boston Dynamics: The Leader in Lifelike Human Simulation: "The Most Advanced Quadruped Robot on Earth
BigDog is the alpha male of the Boston Dynamics family of robots. It is a quadruped robot that walks, runs, and climbs on rough terrain and carries heavy loads. BigDog is powered by a gasoline engine that drives a hydraulic actuation system. BigDog's legs are articulated like an animal’s, and have compliant elements that absorb shock and recycle energy from one step to the next. BigDog is the size of a large dog or small mule, measuring 1 meter long, 0.7 meters tall and 75 kg weight."

I recommend the video at the link. Hat tip to jj solari.

4 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Wake me when they perfect a Stepford Wife.

Brent McKee said...

I confess that the way that think moves and sounds reminds me more of a fly walking than a dog or an electric pack mule.

mybillcrider said...

I agree, and the buzzing is pretty annoying.

Anonymous said...

I was both impressed and creeped out. Looking at just the "legs" move and then see them attached to the machine is unnerving.