Friday, July 02, 2010

The Shamus Winners, Volumes I and II -- Robert J. Randisi, Editor

Bob Randisi founded the Private-Eye Writers of America in 1981. The organization's purpose is to promote the reading and writing of private-eye fiction. Is it just an accident that p.i. fiction had a rebirth starting at about that time? Or is it just coincidence? I report, you decide. Oh, okay, if you insist, my theory is that those of us who love p.i. fiction owe Randisi a big debt. (By way of confession, I should add here that I've been a member of the organization from the start.)

One of the ways the group set about achieving its goal was to give annual awards to the best fiction written about private eyes. Known as the Shamus Awards, they've been given out to the biggest names in the field, and now the winners of the award for the short story have been collected in two big volumes edited and introduced by Mr. Randisi, himself.

But wait. That's not all. There are bonus stories in each volume, by some of the big names in the field. And if you pre-order at Amazon right now, you'll get a list in the back of the book of all the Shamus winners in all categories during the years covered in that volume.

10 comments:

David Cranmer said...

This is a must!

Richard R. said...

I'd like to order it. I'd prefer to order direct from Perfect Crime, so they don't have to pay the A'zon %, but they don't show it as available to order yet either. For that matter neither does A'zom show the book. So I'll wait.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Sounds like good stuff. Hopefully the library will be carrying it.

Gar Haywood said...

Modesty prevents me from complaining that my name is far too close to the bottom of the cover on Volume II.

Unknown said...

At least they spelled it right!

George said...

No question, this is a must-buy!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a must read for me too. I see several of my favorite short story writers listed.

Jeff

John said...

One and all: both volumes are available at book stores, Amazon, and www.PerfectCrimeBooks.com.

Bill Crider: How much does this ad cost?

Unknown said...

A freebie!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

No sign of them at the local library.....