Friday, December 03, 2010

12 Days of Bookmas -- Day 3 #12daysbooks

The contest at BookEnds continues. Mystery fans should get this one pretty quickly, depending on the clues. Yesterday's contest ended almost before it began. My clue is at the end of the entry. Go to the link if you know the answer and leave the answer in the comments.

My very first boss in publishing taught me so much. She gave me my first book to line edit (and I still use her explanation when teaching others how to line edit), she encouraged my first romance buy as an editor, and she guided me through the creation of a number of different book series when I was an editor at Berkley. Yep, the creation of a series. The one thing I loved the most about my boss was her creativity. As an editor, she not only sought out great authors to publish, but developed a number of fiction series on her own. She would come up with an idea, create a bible for the series, and she, and the rest of the editorial staff, would find authors to write to her vision.

I’ve always been an idea person, so it was so exciting to me to learn that not only would I be editing books, but I could actually help create ideas. Did you know that one of the ideas I developed as an editor more than 12 years ago is still being published today? Hmm, maybe that’s a topic for another Day of Bookmas.

Today’s question, however, is about my boss. She’s still working in publishing, but in a very different capacity. Today she’s a successful author who is coming up with fabulous ideas, but writing them herself. Who is this editor-turned-author and what 10-book YA series did she write that was later made into a television program (which she also worked on)?


My Clue: The truth is out there.

No comments: