Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Free for Kindle for a Limited Time

John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood: Michael D. Sellers: Amazon.com: Kindle Store: It took 100 years to bring Edgar Rice Burroughs’ John Carter of Mars to the big screen. It took Disney Studios just ten days to declare the film a flop and lock it away in the Disney vaults. How did this project, despite its quarter-billion dollar budget, the brilliance of director Andrew Stanton, and the creative talents of legendary Pixar Studios, become a calamity of historic proportions? 

Michael Sellers, a filmmaker and Hollywood insider himself, saw the disaster approaching and fought to save the project – but without success. In John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood, Sellers details every blunder and betrayal that led to the doom of the motion picture – and that left countless Hollywood careers in the wreckage. 

JOHN CARTER AND THE GODS OF HOLLYWOOD examines every aspect of Andrew Stanton's adaptation and Disney's marketing campaign and seeks to answer the question: What went wrong? it includes a history of Hollywood's 100 year effort to bring the film to the screen, and examines the global fan movement spawned by the film.

6 comments:

Bud said...

Thnx for the heads-up. I thought John Carter was pretty good!

Anonymous said...

A much better movie than the reviews suggested. But, wretchedly sold to the public. The suits strike again. I look forward to reading the book.

sas

Rick Ollerman said...

And yet, according to what I just looked up the other day, "John Carter" has actually made its money back. If I recall correctly, they weren't including the advertising budget against that but I imagine that's just a matter of time. In short, it's far from the disaster it was initially proclaimed, and saved by the fact that most people think it's a pretty decent movie. I just bought the DVD yesterday myself.

Deb said...

The movie did not interest me at all (I'm waaaay out of that demographic), but I'd love to read this book.

mybillcrider said...

I bought the DVD the day it dropped. I liked the movie a lot.

Cap'n Bob said...

I liked it, too. As people said, the ads were awful and probably kept hordes away.