Tuesday, November 24, 2015

JFK and Me

Apparently I've never told my JFK story here on the blog, although I thought I had.  Here it is.

It was September 13, 1960 when John F. Kennedy made a speech on the front steps of the Texas State Capitol.  Here's what he said

I was in the crowd that day.  College classes didn't begin until the next Monday, but I had to be there for registration.  My roommate, Walter Funk, and some other friends were there, too.  One of them was Bob Tyus, a good friend from my hometown.  Another hometown buddy, Mike Leary, might have been there with his roommate, Allan Rast.  I know there were at least four of us.  

After the speech, Kennedy left and walked through the capitol building to the back door.  Hundreds of people lined the way, all with hands outstretched.  Kennedy was shaking hands at random.  Bob Tyus and I were among the lucky ones who got a quick shake.  Then we went to my car, which was parked only a block away on Congress Avenue.  That part of the street no longer exists, since the capitol grounds and building have long since covered it.  Walter and the others were already at the car when Bob and I got there.

The car wasn't really mine.  It was my parents' 1956 Buick Special, a sky-blue four-door hardtop, the best-looking car they ever owned.  Since it was the semester break, I'd driven down for only a couple of days, leaving my 1953 Ford behind at home.  I'd drive back home and spend a couple of days before returning to begin the semester.

We all piled into the Buick, and I pulled out into the street behind a black car.  We didn't think anything of it, but we'd gone only a block or so when a motorcycle cop came up beside us and started motioning for me to pull over.  Which I did, of course.  The cop didn't say anything to us.  He just sat on his bike and watched JFK's motorcade drive past.  This wasn't one with an open car for a parade.  Kennedy was on his way to the airport in a closed car.  After the last car had gone by, the cop waved me back onto the street. 

I'm the only person I know who's driven the second car in a presidential motorcade.

2 comments:

Robert Lopresti said...

pretty funny. thanks.

Cap'n Bob said...

You can expect to show up in all future conspiracy theory books, now.