Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Gator Update

United Press International - NewsTrack - Student escapes from gator-infested canal:

MIAMI, June 7 (UPI) -- A Miami college student managed to escape an alligator-infested canal after a large truck ran him off the road.

Eddie Melendez, 21, told the Miami Herald he was headed home from Tampa on Alligator Alley when he found his 1993 Honda sailing into the canal.

'I skidded across the median and four lanes. I tried to use my emergency brakes and everything. I broke the fence and went into the canal. The next thing I know, I feel water through my legs,' he told the newspaper.

Though legally blind without his glasses, which flew off in the crash, Melendez managed to climb back up to the road where he was spotted by a passing trucker who called police.

When police arrived on the scene, they found four alligators lazily circling Melendez' car.

Melendez suffered only minor injuries in the Tuesday morning crash. He went to work at Wendy's later in the day."

No comments: