Monday, June 30, 2008

ApolloCon

We're back from ApolloCon, where a good time was had by all, or at least by us. It's always fun to see friends from other conventions and to be on panels or attend them. I was a bit disappointed in the dealers' room, so Scott Cupp and I sneaked off one afternoon to Ye Old Bookstore. It looked great from the outside, a shabby building with windows you couldn't see through because of the books piled in them. Inside, it smelled great. Nothing beats the scent of the oxidizing pages of paperbacks. Unfortunately, the store didn't live up to its appearance or smell. 99% of the books were far too recent to be of any interest to either me or Scott, though Scott, as usual, found more stuff to buy than I did.

We had a couple of great meals. One was on Friday afternoon when we took George, Diane, and Katie Kelly to Taste of Texas, where they got to visit an authentic Texas salad bar. Well, Diane, Katie, and Judy did. George and I had more substantial meals. Afterward, George was photographed with the giant stuffed bear, and we all had our photo made in front of the gun cabinet.

Saturday night, Judy and I went with Scott Cupp to Tony's, a Mexican food place that Judy and I hadn't tried. It was great. And we could even watch the Astros on TV while we ate.

Jayme Blaschke was lurking around with his camera most of the weekend, and when he posts his photos, I'll provide a link.

All in all, a very good weekend. Maybe the ApolloCon folks will invite me back next year.

8 comments:

Fred Blosser said...

Bill, at first glance, "Texas salad bar" sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Unknown said...

As well it should.

Todd Mason said...

Patton Oswalt has a relevant standup bit. Though you'd have to wait a little while in the Oswalt/Bird interview to hear it, and Bird steps on it in Chris Farley fanboy fashion.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11694817

Unknown said...

The whole interview's pretty funny.

Rusty said...

Not a good year to be watching the Astros while you're eating.

Rusty

Unknown said...

They're doing better lately, and they whacked the Sox in that game.

Unknown said...

Bill

I certainly hope they invite you back next year! Great to see you on the panels...I thought the pulp panel went really well.

Looking forward to Armadillocon...

Unknown said...

I thought that was a pretty good panel, myself. See you at Armadillocon!