Wednesday, September 01, 2010

I Never Find Stuff Like This

NC farm produces emerald shaped into massive gem - Yahoo! News: "An emerald so large it's being compared with the crown jewels of Russian empress Catherine the Great was pulled from a pit near corn rows at a North Carolina farm.

The nearly 65-carat emerald its finders are marketing by the name Carolina Emperor was pulled from a farm once so well known among treasure hunters that the owners charged $3 a day to shovel for small samples of the green stones. After the gem was cut and re-cut, the finished product was about one-fifth the weight of the original find, making it slightly larger than a U.S. quarter and about as heavy as a AA battery."

Hat tip to Doc Quatermass.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, I lived on a farm until I was 18 and I never found anything but cow piles and an occassional arrowhead

Unknown said...

I do have some nice arrowheads.