Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A Contest

Yesterday I provide this link to an explanation of a contest the BookEnds agency is running. Here's the first day's entry. I'll give you a clue at the end, and you can go to the BookEnds site for links to other clues if you want to play along.

Nothing says love like a romance novel, and there’s no doubt I am often shocked that I spent the first 20+ years of my life devoid of the pleasure of romance (novels, that is). Thankfully, while desperately searching for a job after college, I discovered book publishing. It was perfect. It was my dream job even though I’d never dreamed it. In my very first job interview with a romance editor, I was handed a book and told to read it and fax (yes, fax) in a reader’s report by the end of the week. For those of you who have never interviewed in book publishing, a reader’s report is the requirement of every editorial assistant job interview. It helps give the editor insight into whether or not you’ll be qualified to read the types of submissions this editor buys.

One of the books I was asked to write my report on was a romance (weirdly enough, I have no recollection of what the other book was). It was also the very first romance I ever read, and the book that made me fall in love with romance.

What was the book and who is the author?


A Clue: MacKinlay Kantor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gone With the Wind?

What do I win?

Jeff

mybillcrider said...

You probably would win a copy of the book, but it's not that easy. My clue is the most esoteric of any that have been given, I'll bet.