Monday, December 20, 2010

R.I.P. Steve Landesberg, R. I. P.

R.I.P. Steve Landesberg, Barney Miller actor | TV | Newswire | The A.V. Club: "Steve Landesberg, a comic actor known for playing wry, bookish types and most widely recognized as Barney Miller’s Arthur P. Dietrich, has died of cancer, according to TMZ. He was 65. Landesberg joined the cast of Barney Miller full time in its second season, playing the highly intellectual, unflappably deadpan detective, the breadth of whose impressive knowledge on a wide variety of obscure subjects both amazes and baffles his fellow officers. Dietrich was a mainstay of the show throughout its run, even making an appearance on Fish, the spinoff starring Abe Vigoda (who is still alive)."

7 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Arthur P. Dietrich was my favoite character on Barney Miller. And 65 is to young. R.I.P.

Ron Scheer said...

Loved that series and every character on it. The first season has been in my shopping cart for months at amazon. It's time to get it. The obit failed to mention that Landesberg's voice was a dead ringer for Gregory Peck.

Todd Mason said...

I was very happy to see him in recent years on HEAD CASE, having wondered what he'd been up to. Fighting cancer, apparently.

Deb said...

Oh no, another man my mother always wanted me to marry (along with Roger Ebert, Richard Dreyfuss, and Anthony Hopkins--although, presumably, not all at the same time). I'm sorry to hear of his passing--especially at such a relatively young age.

Bud said...

His laid-back style worked very well for him.

Dan said...

I always thought his career would go further than it did.

Anonymous said...

He really centered that show with his great deadpan delivery, but then everyone on it was good.

RIP


Jeff