Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Overlooked Movies -- They Might Be Giants

They might be giants. To Don Quixote they were giants, but not to Sancho. So what's real? Yes, I'm familiar with the "I refute it thus" approach to Beelzy, but perception and reality are something to think about when you watch this movie. Our reality is real to us as the reality of others is to them. Who's to say what's really real? By the way, if that's not a misleading poster there on the left, I never saw one.

George C. Scott plays a man who, because of an incomprehensible loss, develops a new way of dealing with the world. He thinks he's Sherlock Holmes, and he collects newspaper clippings that lead him to the conclusion that there is indeed a malevolent force in the world, and that force is Moriarty. Naturally everyone thinks he's nuts, but his analyst, Dr. Watson (Joanne Woodward) is gradually drawn into his world. Scott's character also goes to Randolph Scott movies exclusively because the Good Guy always beats the Bad Guys in the black hats. I can't see anything wrong with that.

I haven't seen this movie in awhile, but I really do like it. Just about everything in it worked for me (I'm in a minority here, so be warned). There's a great cast, and not a weak link in it. The ending really bowled me over. I can still run it in the theater in my head, and I do, now and then.

8 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Well, you and at least one of the more interesting pop bands of the last decade or so are among the fans. I like it a lot.

Dan_Luft said...

Now that's strange. I actually saw this movie this week. Stumbled over it on Netflix. Not a great ending but a very enjoyable Holmes.

James Reasoner said...

I haven't seen it in ages so I don't know how well it holds up, but I've seen it several times and loved it every time. Especially the ending.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I loved that movie. Joanne Woodward didn't make enough movies. And Scott died too young.

Mike Doran said...

One of my all-time favorites.

The crazy thing is that watching it now, you notice all the bit players who got better known afterward:

Rue McClanahan
Eugene Roche
M. Emmet Walsh
Louis Zorich
F. Murray Abraham
James Tolkan
Kitty Winn
Oliver Clark

... not to mention Al "Grandpa" Lewis at the beginning ...

...and the old guy with the topiary is Worthington Miner, the guru of live TV.

(Forgive the showing off; I've waited for the opportunity for years.)

Yvette said...

I am a big fan of this movie as well, Bill. In fact, I wrote about it today as well.

This is the first time this has happened to me - two posters posting about the same film.

It's interesting to see what you thought of it as well. We're pretty much in agreement. :)

Michael E. Stamm said...

One of my very favorites, with Goldman's other two--THE LION IN WINTER and ROBIN AND MARIAN--also on the list. Jack Gilford's Scarlet Pimpernel ("but after dark...I ride!") is just wonderful. TMBG has more heart than any ten movies made in the last ten years put together. Absolutely delightful, and I wish I had it on DVD.

Ron Scheer said...

Thanks, Bill. Nicely remembered. What's more real? A fictional character or someone who believes he's a fictional character?