Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Duets -- Linda Ronstadt

Listening to Linda Ronstadt's new CD, Duets, I can hardly believe it's been 47 years since I was driving around in my '67 Plymouth Fury III and listening to her taking the lead on the Stone Poneys' "Different Drum" on the little AM radio speaker. Sometimes that long-ago time seems like only yesterday. 

I've followed Ronstadt's career ever since that time.  I have her albums on vinyl, cassette, 8-track, and CD.  She'll be inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame soon, way later than she should've been, and she won't be able to attend because Parkinson's Disease has made travel too difficult.  It's also stolen her voice, so this new CD is composed of songs from past albums (with one exception).  It's too bad that no songs from Western Wall, her duet album with Emmylou Harris, are included because there are some fine ones there.  There is one duet with Emmylou, though, and one with Dolly Parton.  Not everything here is a winner, but it's a nice tribute to a great career that ended too soon.  Have I mentioned that I  miss the old days?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that. I have (of course) a 45 of "Different Drum" even though I can't play it. And we've seen Linda in concert several times - at Radio City Music Hall (twice), at Jones Beach (twice), and lastly a free concert in Brooklyn in 2004.
\
Jeff

mybillcrider said...

Did you see her back in the days when she was on stage barefoot and wearing a miniskirt? No wonder I miss the old days.

August West said...

I became a big fan when I first saw the cover of "Hasten Down the Wind."

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I did not see her back in her FM/topless days.


Jeff

Rick Robinson said...

I loved that Stone Ponys song, and remember hearing it on the radio while I was in Tucson in college. I had a Honda motorcycle at the time. I have several of her albums, including the Spanish/Mexican ones and my favorites, her big band ones.

That '67 Plymouth Fury III was a big car.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't get better than Linda. Just bought new compilation! Thanks for some heartthrob memories

Deb said...

I know I'm probably not telling anyone here anything that they didn't know, but Different Drum was written by Mike Nesmith if the Monkees.

/I'm so sorry that Parkinson's has stolen Linda's voice. I love her--especially the mid-1970s when she did so many cover versions of great songs.

mybillcrider said...

I knew about Nesmith, but I've never heard his version of the song. I love that mid-'70s stuff, too.

George said...

Sadly, Linda Ronstadt is promoting her book and this compilation CD because she has money issues. You would think with all the TOP TEN hits she had and best selling albums she'd be set financially...but she's not. I bought her book and I'll buy this CD to support a great artist who's fallen on Hard Times.

Undine said...

She's been my favorite singer ever since I heard "Different Drum" when I was three or four years old. A strangely sad end to a remarkable career.

Anonymous said...

She is "very comfortable financially". Linda has said in a recent interview that the NY Times misrepresented her situation when she discussed the high price of real estate in San Francisco where she lives. She also has a gorgeous second home in her native Tuscon. Wow what a great singer and what an adorable woman even now.

mybillcrider said...

Glad to hear it. She certainly deserves to be comfortable.