Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Overlooked Movies: Adventures in Babysitting


Most of the movies I talk about here aren't really overlooked or forgotten.  They're just a little bit obscure, and I figure some people haven't seen them or thought about them for a while.  Like this one.  

I'd try to summarize the plot, but I'm not sure I could.  There's so much going on that I've probably forgotten half of it.  It's winter in Chicago.  Elizabeth Shue plays the babysitter (with great '80s hair), who's just settling in to watch over the Anderson kids, when she gets a call from her best friend (Penelope Ann Miller), who's stranded at the bus station.  Shue feels she has no choice but to borrow the Andersons' car and go pick her up.  That's when the adventures begin, and there are a million of 'em.  Okay, not that many but a bunch: car thieves, gang fights, car chases, a fraternity party, a chase up a high-rise, a blues bar, and on and on.  Watch the trailer below if you haven't already.  Meanwhile, Miller is having her own adventures, including a good one that involves a sewer rat.  And then there's the appearance by Thor.  Sort of.

It's all fun and games.  And there's even a little romance.  Check it out.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a movie that I didn't expect much from which turned out to be a lot of fun, especially the ridiculous but surprisingly entertaining scene in the blues bar with Albert Collins.


Jeff

mybillcrider said...

I really like that scene, but then I got a kick from the whole movie.