Friday, October 24, 2014

FFB: Rider from Wind River -- Marvin H. Albert

I've expressed my enjoyment of Marvin H. Albert's work in several genres before, so it will come as no surprise to anybody that I really liked Rider from Wind River.  I liked it a lot.  In fact, it's my new favorite Albert western.  Why?  Because it's only 128 pages long, and it has everything.

Everything?  You might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not.  It has a man wrongly accused of murder who's searching for the real killer so he can clear his name.  It has a love story.  It has a cattle drive.  It has a well-drawn setting.  It has a stampede.  It has one of the best fist-fight scenes I've read in years.  It has the expected climactic gun battle, and it's really done well.  It has any number of little twists in the plot along the way.  It's pure entertainment and highly recommended.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that Albert's stuff often features strong, believable scenes of fisticuffs. You'll find some especially good ones in his "Nick Quarry" novels.
I wonder if the author had any experience in the ring?

John Hocking

mybillcrider said...

I don't know anything about his background, but he does great fights.

George said...

I'm a big fan of Marvin H. Albert's work, too. I have a copy of RIDER FORM WIND RIVER. I need to find it and read it!

Ed Gorman said...

Yeah Albert was one of those oros who managed to sustain a level of quality that was surprising for the number of books he produced. I'll have to find a copy of this. Thanks, Bill.

Richard Moore said...

I love Albert in all of his names and all of his wide-ranging genres and formats. I have never seen a copy of this novel but will certainly look for it. You saying it is now your favorite Albert western is a high compliment indeed.