Friday, November 13, 2015

FFB: The Bob Dylan Scrapbook 1956-1966

This is pretty much what is says it is: a scrapbook.  It's interactive.  It has all kinds of stuff, but reproductions, natch, not the real things.  Concert tickets, handwritten lyrics, newspaper clippings, a press kit, and so on.  Great stuff for fans.  There's even a CD, but there are no songs on it.  Instead there are excerpts from 14 different interviews from the early years of Dylan's career and later ones when he's looking back on those days.  There's text, too, of course, but I don't think a Dylan fan is going to learn a lot from it.

The book was released as a companion to Martin Scorsese's documentary No Direction Home, but it's pretty much independent of it.  You don't have to watch the documentary at all to appreciate all that's here.

This is an oversized coffee-table book that comes in a sturdy slipcase.  It was originally a pretty pricey item, but now it's in all the Half-Price Bookstores in Houston.  I got mine for $3, and cheap copies abound on the Internet.  If you're a true Dylan fan, you already have it.  If you're a mere dilettante like me, this isn't a bad time to buy.

8 comments:

George said...

I'll have to pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up!

Rick Robinson said...

I have to ask: why? Other selling it to a raving fanatical Dylan, fan, what's the point of this?

mybillcrider said...

Entertainment.

Todd Mason said...

And perspective.

Don Coffin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don Coffin said...

"...a raving fanatical Dylan fan..."

Smile when you say that, stranger.

Unknown said...

Back in the late 60s, Bob Dylan came out with a book called TARANTULA, and I remember when one of my college buddies asked if I read it, I said, "No, but I've seen the movie."

No one got it then, either.

mybillcrider said...

I get it, and I have the book. It's awful. The movie's okay, though.